Photo Show Guidelines
Please note the updated date changes
- If you don’t have one, create a free account on Flickr: https://identity.flickr.com/sign-up
- Complete our electronic entry form. Review our Digital Download Fundraiser before submitting. There is a limit of three (3) submissions per person in either the Adult or Youth category.
- Use the “Donate” link to pay the $10 (per photo) submission fee. The fee is waived for the youth category, which includes anyone in high school or younger.
- For adult entries or guardians submitting youth entries, FOHMP will email an invitation to you to join the Flickr group so you can upload your image(s).
- All photographs must have been taken at HMP, Alexandria, Virginia. The photo should have been taken in the last 3 years and not have been previously entered in a previous FOHMP Photo Contest.
- Only photographs with a predominant nature theme (plants or animals) will be considered. Photos may contain images of people, so long as the provisions in the copyrights and permissions section are met.
- No identifying marks should appear on the photograph to preserve anonymity for fair judging.
- All photos may be used by the FOHMP for promotional or fundraising purposes.
- The decisions of the contest judges are final.
Awards and Opening Reception
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and honorable mention winners will receive ribbons and will be featured on the FOHMP website and Facebook page.
- A “Fan Favorite” vote will take place leading up to the opening reception.
- The opening reception will take place on Sunday,
December 13January 17th. We are aiming from 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm via a zoom meeting. Details will be emailed closer to the event.
Copyrights and Permissions
- The photographer must hold the copyright to all photos they submit to the contest.
- Photographs that violate copyright laws will be disqualified.
- The use of public domain images is prohibited.
- Photographers retain ownership of all copyrights.
- By submitting an image to this photo contest, you hereby grant to FOHMP permission to make a copy of your entry for promotional use on our website, Facebook page, or in printed materials, including the FOHMP Newsletter.
- Any contest submissions that receive legal challenges from either copyright or insufficient model permissions will be removed.
- If a contest participant chooses to provide digital copies of photo(s) as a premium for a donation received during the months of December 2020 and January 2021, proceeds from that donation will be used by FOHMP to support HMP. See Photo Show Contest Fundraiser document for full details.
- Park volunteers and employees of HMP and their families not involved in judging or administering the contest can enter.
- Contest judges are not eligible to enter.
- All HMP rules apply, including physical distancing and mask wearing where appropriate. In addition, animals must not be harassed, and no modifications of the environment may be made to improve a photograph.